Thursday, March 31, 2011
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
6 yummy shades are in each palette, the 3 eyeshadows on the left side are all matte, and the other 3 on the right side, are all shimmery shades. Comes with a tiny brush and applicator.
They have 4 palettes of this kind: vanity (browns), pride (blue/teal), lust (purples), and greed (smokey/neutrals). Wet N Wild also has other palettes that have 3 or 8 eyeshadows. There's a lot of buzz that these are great dupes of some of MAC eyeshadows, I found a helpful link here that breaks what its a dupe of HERE.
I will be doing looks in the coming days from each palette to really give them a good test drive.
***The swatches below were done in ONE swipe, dry (no base, nothing). ***
Monday, March 28, 2011
Makeup aside, I love food. And I especially love avocados! Which is really strange because I never really liked avocados or guacamole up until a few months ago. I know there are TONS of guacamole recipes out there, but thought i'd share a quick dip I frequently whip up and it's super fast to make, not to mention I like it better than some of the guacamole they have at restaurants.
What you'll need:
1 ripe avocado
1/2 of a tomato (you can use more or less, I love tomatoes so I put a lot!)
Less then half of a red onion (unless you like it a bit spicy)
Salt & Pepper to taste
A small amount of sour cream (optional)
And a few squirts of lime juice
Tortilla chips (I like Tostitos Scoops)
Sunday, March 27, 2011
I've been feeling a bit sick the last couple days, so hopefully I can get Part II of my Luminess review up soon. Just been having those days where I am feeling like a hot mess LOL. Since Naimies is by my work, I thought i'd stop by and grab a few things. If y'all don't know what Naimies is, it's like a playground for the makeup/skincare/and hair obsessed! I bought a Naimie's small tapered brush to use as a lip brush (works great with OCC Lip Tars!), got a few wedge sponges, a pink nailpolish, Ben Nye Visage Powder in "Banana" which is a setting/finishing powder that warms up your complexion and doesn't produce a white cast like other finishing powders, I also got the Ben Nye Neutral Set Colorless Powder which has an anti-perspirant to help combat sweat shining through your makeup; after all it is theatrical makeup! It's great for setting cream or liquid foundations, and got Orly's Smudge Fixer nailpolish.
I also bought a few things from paintandpowder.com, they have tons of stuff for a budding makeup artist, such as mixing palettes, sponges, disposable wands, etc. as well as theater makeup. I just got a mixing palette so I have a place I can mix pigments, cream foundation or my OCC lip tars; got a spatula to scoop makeup out to keep things sanitary, a refill pan of Graftobian HD powder in "Soft Ivory", and Graftobian HD Cream Foundation in "Buttermilk". I can't wait to do a review on some of this stuff!
Thursday, March 24, 2011
I am breaking this review into 2 parts because I had trouble uploading my videos last night (only 1 out of 2 went thru see above), so I will try to re-do them and post them so you all can see how it works. I was REALLY excited to try Luminess Air Beauty Airbrush System ($179), and was so happy to have the opportunity to review it. I have always wanted to try airbrushing and just love the final result of airbrush makeup- where your skin just looks flawless and blemish free, but mainly because I always felt like it gives the 'no makeup' feeling since a few drops covers your entire face. Because I always thought that airbrush systems were pricey in general, I never bothered to look into them or buy one, but the results are totally worth it and it's probably cheaper in the long run considering you'll look like you have your own personal makeup artist. ;)
For my before and after pictures below, I used a mix of F3 and F6 (golden beige and sun-kissed). Using 4 drops of F3 and about 3 drops of F6.
Go here to compare the different airbrush system models.
Description: Provides light to full coverage while leaving a naturally flawless finish. In less than half the time of other beauty routines, Luminess Air minimizes pores, the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, and evens out skin tones for the look of perfection! The "Airbrush Look" that was once reserved for models, beauty professionals, and celebrities can now be achieved in the comfort of your own home. No more dirty sponges, brushes, or fingers!
|Sporting my Luminess Tee, wearing it backwards because its plain in the front LOL|
- Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use, the final result is just amazing! I loved the flawless look it gave me and makes anyone look like utter perfection
- Light weight, I didn't feel like I was wearing makeup, only 6-8 drops is needed of the airbrush foundation to cover the entire face
- Lasted for most of the day, don't have to retouch much, still looks great even after a few hours
- Definitely cuts time in half as it's very easy to use
- Allows you to build your desired coverage, from sheer to full
- Comes in a lot of shades, you can mix shade colors to create your perfect shade
- You can also apply eyeshadow, bronzer, and blush in airbrush form as part of your makeup routine
- Has a cute travel case so it's great to bring on trips!
- Great for people with dry skin too, I HIGHLY recommend using a setting powder to ensure it lasts.
- Having to clean it after each use; I don't mind cleaning it of course but it can get tedious, especially when you are dealing with a lot of colors or doing primer > concealer >foundation >blush, etc. You have to add a mix of water and alcohol with the bottle they provide, turn on the compressor, cover the nozzle with your finger so that it back bubbles in the makeup cup/well, then spray all the color out until it is completely clear.
- This particular model has only one setting so it may be difficult working with one speed, but I didn't find any problems with it. (Since other models have 3 settings, one for eyes, face, and body)
- At times it can spray too much even when you are not pulling back on the trigger so hard, so sometimes it can be hard to control. Best way is to spray a little bit of color on a paper towel so you can get a feel for the amount of pressure you need.
- No cover on the makeup cup/well, I haven't spilled yet but I can see how this can be troublesome, BUT the compressor itself has a holster so you don't have to worry about laying it on its side and having the contents spill out.
- Foundations itself may be a tad bit pricey for some, and I am not sure how long each one lasts, might be more pricey if you have to buy 2 to mix shades. It ranges from $29-42 for 0.55oz (larger one) and around $27 (less in some places) for the smaller 0.25oz.
Overall? I LOVE IT. I think it's a great investment, and great for makeup artists on the go for their clients, and even just beginners because it's virtually mistake proof. I love that you can travel with it and its lightweight, and above all the results are just so amazing, you will really be pleased! I think there's a shade to complement everyone.
Air and cosmetics products combine to provide a smooth, natural-looking finish. The illustrated instruction book and DVD offer tips and training for fantastic results with at-home convenience. Choose from Fair, Medium, Tan or Dark to precisely match your skin color.
Foundation and Blush Colors by Skin Tone:
- Foundations: Bloom, Golden Beige, Buff and Fawn
- Blush: Soft Rose
- Ultra Foundations: Golden Beige, Buff, Fawn and Sun Kissed
- Blush: Natural
- Ultra Foundations: Fawn, Sun Kissed, Cinnamon and Chestnut
- Blush: Apricot
- Ultra Foundations: Cinnamon, Chestnut, Coffee and Chocolate
- Blush: Plum
Luminess Air Pro Beauty Airbrush System Includes:
- Compressor with stylus, made of plastic and metal. Compressor measures approx. 4-1/2"L x 2-1/2"W x 3"H with 5' cord; stylus measures approx. 5-1/2"L x 1/2"W x 2"H
- AC adapter cord with 6' cord
- Airbrush cleaning bottle
- Instruction guide
- Instruction DVD
- Silvertone travel case, measures approx. 11"L x 2-3/4"W x 3-1/2"H, made of vinyl, plastic, rubber and metal
- Luminess Air 7-piece cosmetics Starter Kit includes: (4) .25 oz. Airbrush Foundation shades; .25 oz. Airbrush Bronzer; .25 oz. Airbrush Pearl Shimmer Highlighter; and .25 oz. Airbrush Blush
- Complete airbrushing system - gives optimal coverage for many skin issues, giving a photo-retouched-looking finish.
- Just one airbrush setting for foundation and allover face bronzing.
- DVD and instructional book show you step-by-step how to use this system.
- Each skintone kit gives a full range of foundations to complement your skin tone. Allows for color variations as your skin color changes from a summer shade to a winter shade.
- Airbrush bronzer - contours face (cheekbones, forehead, chin and jaw line).
- Airbrush pearlizing shimmer - provides a flawless, luminous glow. Use on your cheekbone, down the bridge of the nose, on chin, forehead, neck, decollete and arms.
- Blush - for a beautiful, natural-looking blush.
- Unit weighs under 1 pound.
Monday, March 21, 2011
I love that they really spent time on their packaging, I can't tell you how many times I have ordered from mineral makeup companies only to have it arrive with half the contents in the mailer...I like that these have a shrink wrapped seal and a sifter label to ensure nothing spills during shipping.
I highly recommend using any mineral eyeshadows 'wet' (aka foiling) or with a mixing medium to ensure that it stays on (like all loose mineral eyeshadows, they tend to have a lot of fallout). Applying them wet or with a mixing medium also enhances the pigmentation making the color more vibrant. Also use an eyeshadow base to ensure that it will have long lasting wear and you want to pat the eyeshadow on your eye to maintain coverage and just build from there. "Grape Haze" was pretty light when applied dry, but applied wet it was a gorgeous shade of purple!
Overall, definitely check their website out, since they do not have a lot of products at the moment (but will be launching a few lipglosses next month!) it may be too premature to gauge their products/site in its entirety, but they have a lot of potential and a few eyeshadow colors to keep us busy in the meantime!