Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Monday, July 13, 2009

Prod. Review: Smooth Away Hair Removal

.

Ugh. Cali weather sucks, even though I heard Arizona had it worse at 116 degrees, my sensitive skin isn't having it. Thanks to this insane heat, I had a severe case of prickly heat & heat rash on the back of my legs (as some of you know from my Facebook), in which I actually had to see a doctor and get medication for it (steroid cream and Hydroxyzine). The itchiness was annoying and learning how to sleep on my stomach wasn't fun either, LOL. Luckily the cream worked wonders and my legs are almost back to normal...whew! Just in time before my Hawaii trip! I hope I don't get any other crazy reactions while im on vacay because that would just not be fun!

I am so behind on my blog it's ridiculous...so I am trying to catch up! I will be doing a tutorial soon using the NYX smokey eye palette (the same look from the Vision Awards). Here are some pics I took on the 4th of July of the fireworks they had by my house:





Since the doctor said I can't wear any tight pants or anything that encloses the area to trap more heat, I have been wearing dresses and skirts the past week, and came across some cute dresses at Forever 21 and other random places:

I love the bubble skirt!


It's also very casual (in terms of material) so it's cute with flip flops too or you can dress it up:


Floral tube dress with a tulip cut bottom:


I love ruffles if you can't tell! LOL, but I thought it would be nice to add a black dress to the collection as surprisingly I don't really have an all black dress...


Okay, okay on to the review! So I tried the Smooth Away Hair Removal months ago (like when it was still winter haha yeah I am that behind! LOL sorry!) and the results were actually better than I thought, I had a light touch and did it in circular motions as instructed but it caused temporary redness on my legs (then again I have really sensitive skin)! Yeah my left leg is pretty damn hairy but hey how else am I going to test to make sure it really works right!?? Besides this was in the winter time and y'all know I could use some extra "insulation"! HAHA.

The area to be used MUST be dry, no lotion or oils. You can apply lotion after to help keep skin soft and moisturized.









Product: 3 out of 5
Packaging: 4 out of 5
Quality: 3 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5
Price: $9.99 at Walgreens and other drugstores
Would I buy again? Maybe

PROS:
- Does remove hair as described
- Easy to use and great for quick hair removal when traveling or on the go as it does not need any water or shaving cream
- Comes with refillable 3M sandpaper-like pads you just peel and stick on the buffer
- Has a handle you can slip your hand or finger through to make it easy
- Comes in a its own travel pouch
- Has a facial buffer for the upper lip area

CONS:
- Didn't remove all hair, had to keep going over certain spots
- A bit time consuming, faster to use a shaver or to wax
- May cause redness or tender spots for those with sensitive skin

Overall: It may be a great product for some people and like I said I was pretty impressed that it did remove a good amount of hair, however it took me forever just to get one leg done, so I would stick to either shaving or waxing personally. But I think it's great for small jobs in a short amount of time and for those that have more tolerance than I do I am sure this would work great (as my BFF Erica tried it and she loved it and had no redness, etc), so it varies from person to person.

35 comments

AskMeWhats said...

Nessa, I think you lose a couple of weight right? Anyways, nice to read your update and I'm glad your rashes are better!

Crissy said...

I need some dresses from F21!! soo cute.


i tried smooth away and it barely removed hair. i went at it for like 10 minutes and it actually left my skin grayish. D:

Chrissy said...

This sounds like a really nice hair remover. I don't know though, I still don't know what I should use. Haha.

Hanid said...

Hey Vanessa,
I loved your black dress. Really beautiful and chic!!!!!
Kisses

Shop N' Chomp said...

Oh, love your outfits esp the second one! :) And thanks for the review...think I'll stick to shaving.

Arezu said...

I keep seeing this and I keep putting off trying it, I guess I'll have to pick it up now (:

And thanks for answering my question regarding the brush cleaner!

courtney said...

ugh i live in AZ. its crazy hot :( cute outfits!

Stephie said...

i'm sorry to hear about your legs ate! hopefully you will feel better by your trip! i love the dresses you picked out, uber cute!

so funny, my bf tried out the smooth away a couple months ago, didn't do much for him since he's like a bear haha

Angel said...

maybe the smooth away was the cause of the rash? btw.. i love the last dress!!! u do look skinnier too!

Unknown said...

Hey Vanessa! I'm sorry about what happend to your legs. That must hurt really bad! Here it's hot too and I cannot stand the heat and will not go outside without sunscsreen. The dresses are so cute!! I haven't worn a dress in years! I think I need to start wearing one.

Summer-Lovin said...

love love the dresses! Gorgeous on you! I wanted that floral one--the Toronto Forever XXI is always sold out of everything in like 2 seconds though, so I couldn't find it in my size!

ALSO I tried a generic store brand version of the smooth away, because I'm cool like that, and it made my face burn SO SO BAD! Works on my arms pretty decent, but I feel like the pads stopped working on like...half my arm :( Maybe It's because i got the 'knock off' brand...
thanks for the review <3 I HAVE MISSED YOU

kathy said...

I really like that floral dress on you! Very Pretty!

I've heard so much about this smooth away thingie but was always reluctant to try it. It looks interesting.

Tiff said...

I love all the dresses! I was planning on ordering the black and white one online, but I completely forgot until now. I think I want the floral one now too :D.

Janelle said...

Yay, F21!! I just ordered some dresses online today. I want more! Your ruffly dresses are just too cute & perfect for summer. I love me some ruffles. :)

Thanks for the Smooth Away review. I see it around a lot, but never thought of actually trying it.

skbzie said...

hi nessa, i was wondering what kind of lens you used with your D40. because i have the d40 too and my night shoots arent as clear as yours in the post.

sssdawna said...

omg you have such a great figure! thanks for doing the review also and have fun on your trip--stay cool = ]

Unknown said...

Buffers look so cool! Nice steal!

ANGELA_BEE said...

I had heat rash for a few days when I came back from DR, it's reallly annoying and hard not to scratch it. I just used a lot of baby powder, showered a lot, and kept cool. Good thing yours is gone before you big trip to HAWAII!! have loads of fun!! those cute dresses will come in handy for your vacay too ;]

Katie Ms. Cocktail Smarty said...

I allllways wondered if that thing worked!! Thanks so much for posting! :)

*~kAy~* said...

i love your dresses! <3 especially the black one :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh did you get that first dress @ forever 21? It is SO cute! But I can't find it on the site. Please let me know! :)
~Lana

Lola (alaina is a fine mess...) said...

Hey Vanessa...I am an avid follower of your blog and always look forward to new posts..I have just started a blog of my own about makeup but a different blog...my blog is for those girls who may not have access to all the beauty brands they would like to, so I am selling popular items on my blog as well as any requests..plus its Canadian dollars so it would end being cheaper for those who live in the US!...it would be amazing and much much appreciated if you could do even just a tiny tiny shout out to my new blog... http://makeupbymail.blogspot.com/ ...Thanks so much for even reading this comment! I will even send a free gift to my 15th follower!

Anonymous said...

Good post. Keep it up. To buy latest anti-wrinkle creams be sure about the quality.

Tashur Raquel said...

that1st dress is soooooooooooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I actually LOVE Smooth Away, I use it all the time for my legs! (I still shave my under arms the old fashioned way) but for me, Smooth Away always worked wonderfully. It only takes me about 5 minutes or less to do both of my legs. (I'm from China, and not too hairy to begin with!) I have recommended it to a bunch of friends (of all ethnic backgrounds), they all love it too. But I'm sure it depends on each individual person, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with really sensitive skin, for example, someone with psoriasis or any type of skin condition.

Also, you can get a lotion/cream with your Smooth Away. It's supposed to help decrease the rate or hair growth after you Smooth Away... honestly, it's not worth it. It smells funky and it's got a weird consistency and if you put it anywhere other than your legs, it kinda stings/burns.

But as for Smooth Away, I suggest anyone who's interested to at least try it once. DON'T ORDER IT OFFLINE OR OFF THE TELEVISION. Just to go Bed, Bath & Beyond or As Seen on TV or Walmart. I made that mistake, because I believed them when they said "you can't find this in stores, so order now!" But you certainly can, and you'll save yourself a lot of time and money!

:)

Afterglow Cosmetics said...

This is the easiest way to get rid of the stuff I bet.Lovely did never hear about it before.
organic foundation

Unknown said...

Found this hair remover very harmless and handy.I would go for this.

Thanks
-------------
Esthetics College

Esthetics College

Katie Hayward said...

Those dresses are so pretty :D

comment back on my blog:
Stuffonyourface.blogspot.com

Katie
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi

It's a big difference in these two photographs. Hair removed from leg. Great. What a fantastic effect.

Esthetics College

Anonymous said...

Ailyn

Hey I bought the Smooth Away and I personally use it like a couple days after I shave with razor, like when I start getting little stubbly hair. Smooth Away is great to take those out and keep legs smooth. But it would take forever to actually remove like a lot of hair =)
Thanks for your post!

Unknown said...

I really like the products here. I would like to post some of your products so that people could see these awesome items. Perhaps I am gonna need to use obd code reader to make the job easier. By the way, you look great.

soulsearcher said...

can this be used for the armpits?

thanks

noorartistry said...

check out http://noorartistry.com/blog a great beauty blog

Goldendishes. said...

Very nice beautyblog! Like the hair-removal-thing! Great result.

x Beautyeditor from Holland



please follow my new blog:http://lysa-beautyeditor.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

www.google.com

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter