Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Monday, December 10, 2007

VIDEO & Reader Questions: Contouring and How-To Apply Blush

.

So it's been a long time coming and I finally had the courage once again to do another video! Yay me! I also realize how HARD it is to type with a band-aid! I had a little accident this morning, I was trying to open this hard plastic package wrap that was wrapped around my new Sephora eyeliner; that safety seal where you pull the perforated line all the way down the pencil to open it, well it went under my nail and cut the skin underneath there and boy did it hurt! You can see my ugly little band-aid in the video on my index finger, just thought id share, LOL.

I had some awesome questions and one of them was how to apply blush, I know it sounds easy, but if you do it wrong, you can look like you were rolling in some dirt. In addition to the video, I thought i'd explain it in text so it's a bit more "work friendly".

Q: Can you please give a tutorial on how to wear blush? I know it sounds pretty simple, but for some reason mine always comes out too harsh... its like there's a very distinct line as to where my blush starts. I have a round face so I don't really wear blush on my apples. Instead I suck in my cheeks and go from there. I also use the blush brush from MAC- the somewhat small angled one with the white bristles (I forgot the number and I don't have the brush on me). I was using a cheapy brush before and it worked fine, but I did spend the money the MAC brush so I want to be able to use it properly. Any tips?

A: First, I use the MAC #136 brush (I ACCIDENTLY said 186 brush in the video because I was looking at my 187 brush when I grabbed that one, oh well), my sis Stephie loves that brush too, it's also one of my favorite brushes next to the MAC 180 brush and the 187. I take a little blush, tap off any excess powder and then SMILE! Apply it on the apples of your cheeks and gently sweep it up to your temple or towards your ear in a back and forth motion.

Look after video tutorial (as it's hard to see color in videos):

________________________________________________________________________________

CONTOURING

I have a round face so I like to contour the hollow part of my cheeks when I make a squishy pucker face, as well as my jawline, and the sides of my nose. You can also contour or shade the sides of your forehead or temples. I use the MAC Sculpting Powder in "Sculpt" but you can use any dark powder or blush to achieve this.

Contouring helps certain areas recede and look slimming as well as more prominent. Shading the sides of my nose gives a nice soft illusion of a more narrow nose.

21 comments

Anonymous said...

You are too cute! Thx for the tips, I'm gonna try that shading of the nose thing! amylola

Unknown said...

haha you're sooo cute. well i enjoyed watching your tut. can you please make one with your fotd using hepcat and pink mauve pigment pleaaaaaase?

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

Haha. You're so cute, I LOVE watching your video tuts. :D And you look so pretty. :D But you always do. LOL.

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

Thanks Nessa! You're such a sweetheart. :D I really REALLY appreciate it. :D Did you know that you're my dupe savior? hahaha. ;)

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

p.s. where can I get the brand "No. 7" at? I don't recall seeing it anywhere. :P

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the heads up Nessa love. :D OoOo... I LOVE your reviews, they're always so informative and helpful. :D I'm looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

can i use a bronzer for contouring or should i stick to a brownish blush?

Anonymous said...

those e/s colors look gorgeous on you!! And I love your tut cuz I have round face too :p Linking you! :D

Unknown said...

ohhh my this look is absolutely perfect on you nessa! u MUST do a breakdown of the products u used!!! it's simply divine.

Claudia said...

Hi Vanessa!

You're so cute! Thanks for the great video! :)

Claudia

Grayburn said...

Such a joy to read and watch.

Thanks!
Grayburn @ blogspot

Anna said...

of course i don't mind! i'm lin king ya too =]

B said...

Okayyyy, where you in my head or what? In my last blog post, I was talking about how I wanted to work on nose contouring. And then you made this vid! Thaaaanks. I'm really going to look into it because I've got quite the honker. You're fab! Keep up the fab work!

Anonymous said...

HI Vanessa=)..Thank you for the awesome video=)...I have a question: I tried searching for the "sculpt" sculpting powder you mentioned in the MAC website but I couldnt find any..=(...Do have anyother recommendations?? My skin tone is similar to yours and I always find it hard to find a not-so-dark sculting color..Thank you!!=)

Anonymous said...

Hi Hun,

I just wanted to say I love watching your videos!! You are super cute =) I have a question about your contouring video/pic. I love your eye shadows there, what colors did you use and have you done a video for that before?

Philina
mui223@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Nessa...

I just wanted to comment on your e/s in this blog/tut. I've been meaning to, but kept forgetting to. What colors did you use. The colors look so pretty.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

Yay, the video I've been waiting for!! I like the nose trick. I don't have a sculpting powder so I used a darker e/s but evidently it was tooo dark because it looked like all I had was dirt to use for it, lol. Just thought I'd share.

I want to get the 136 and 150. I only have the 129 but I think it's finally broken in because now it's soft as ever and picks up blush nicely.

Very nice video love.

Anonymous said...

is the 186 a Pro brush or it is DC because i don't see it on the MAC site.

Vanessa said...

Anonymous- I mention it in the first sentence of the answer portion in this post (refer to the above), in my video I meant 136 not 168...

Oh...dear me said...

Cute! I love your videos!

Bombchell said...

that was a really good video, and the "rambling" part was fun.

it was pretty cool to see the contouring in action. I saw a picture about highlights and shadin by kevin auocin (sp) and wondered how to do it, or if an overall powder would be put on top of it all.

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter