Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Winter Therapy

.

I have California love like Tupac and I have been so spoiled and pampered by the hot weather here, even today they said it was going to be 80 degrees and its December. But being that I AM from Canada, total opposite where I had to shovel snow off the driveway with my dad, I know how brutal the winter and blistering cold weather can be on our sensitive, delicate skin and hair. I know you east coast gals can relate!

So I had a reader ask me: Do you have any tips about hair that hates humidity? I know some people, myself included, who get's realllyyy frizzy and annoying hair when outside in humidity or rain/snow. there MUST be something that will cure this horribleness.

The answer is yes, with great preparation!

First, I know that the cold weather makes you want to jump in a hot steamy shower to keep warm, and as good as it feels, it's bad for your skin! Hot water is bad for your skin especially during this time of the year because it strips the natural oils of your skin causing it to be more dry, itchy, and patchy. I suggest a creamy body wash that has oils in it orNeutrogena Body Oil, use it while you are in the shower to keep moisture in, also makes your skin soft and supple like a baby's bottom!



Another thing to protect your skin from the winter is choosing the right moisturizers and lotion. I love Bath and Body for their awesome variety of fruity-licious fragranced lotions, but they aren't ideal for the skin because they are water-based lotions. Water-based lotions dry out the skin, so look for oil-based lotions or creams (those are the best ones). For my body, arms, legs, and hands after I shower, I love Pond's Dry Skin Cream, this really keeps me moisturized all day/night and it smells great!



For lips, I love my Blistex DCT pot:


For my hair, since I have so much hair, I use Head and Shoulders Dandruff Shampoo to prevent flakes since this weather can dry your scalp big time, I also use a heavy think cream conditioner such as Garnier Fructis (any will do as I am not picky about hair products), I don't worry about it weighing down my hair because I am very lazy when it comes to my hair and on top of that my hair is naturally wavy.

After the shower, I use infusium23 as my leave in spray conditioner and then use John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette Smoothing Milk to tame any frizzies or fly aways, I LOVE the smell because it smells like the tropics, creamy coconut! If you use a straightener or a curling iron, protect your hair by using a heat protect spray before you style. I like Nexxus Heat Protection Styling Spray.





To tame your hair a bit more, I like to wet my hands and put a drop of gel or a gel-mousse and rub it in between my palms and apply it to the roots and ends of my hair to give it some control and movement. This also prevents "hat head or hat hair" or that static-y hair.

7 comments

Fei said...

Good tips. I think I'll try out the Body Oil since I hate hate hate lotioning and doing this in the shower sounds appealing.

nilla cookie said...

Hey Vanessa!

Thanks for the tips! If anyone is like me and hates the slippery oil in the shower, I've been using Dove Cream Oil body wash. It has oils in it but it's still in body wash form so I love it!

I think I'm going to try the Nexxus stuff since I blow dry my hair almost everyday :)

I wish it were 80 degrees in San Francisco today; it's raining! boo...

Have a good one!

CuttiBeBe said...

I'm a Neutrogena Body Oil lover too! I put it on when I step out of the shower after I slightly pat myself dry, then I smooth on some baby lotion. Best thing for my skin ever!

smileychatterbox said...

Hey Vanessa!
I love Pond's dry skin cream too, except I use it on my face because my skin is dryyy! And I didn't know that I'm not supposed to use my Bath&Body Works lotion on my hands, but thanks for letting us know! See ya!

Thushaa said...

Your a Canadian! WOOT. Canadian pride :P
But thanks for the great advice. Life saver, literally.

swtaznlady said...

Hey Vanessa!
For silky smooth hair try washing out your conditioner with cool/cold water. This keeps in the moisture. After i come out of the shower I towel wrap my hair for a bit then spray "It's a 10" by miracle hair mask product on my hair. This product helps protect my hair since i do blow dry and use a flat iron once in awhile. But it also detangles and repair my hair leaving it shiny and keep the frizz away. =)

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I also have the Blistex DCT. It's really moisterizing aint it ;D

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter