Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Friday, April 18, 2008

Which color lippie to match with your eye makeup?

.

I get this question a lot so thanks to reader Melissa for bringing it to my attention again since many of you probably have asked yourself the same question. I honestly have been so busy to even catch up with my posts but I DO remember your questions, I just hardly have time to get around to each and every one of them. I tell you, regardless of the fact that San Fran was just "right there" from Los Angeles, it's exhausting traveling; coming home late at night (my flight arrived at 10 PM) and still having to unpack all my makeup, clothes, and toiletries; it's really hard to catch up and get back in the groove of your normal routine. Mind you, I STILL had to be in the office today and answer all the emails and voicemails I missed from some of my clients while I was away. NOT FUN. I feel like I haven't had a moment to just relax and recuperate from working 10+ hours each day in San Fran. So please be understanding if I don't answer your questions right away, I am trying to answer all of them quickly! Erica is in training so those who have sent emails, she will be replying back to you shortly! :)

Sooooo, how to know which lippie to match with your eye makeup?

Well there's no real rule to this that I know of anyway, other than if you do heavy eyes (like a smokey look) then pair it with pale pink or neutral lips, or if you do light eye makeup, be daring and go with a bold lip, such as a bold bright or crimson red, or hot pink lips. You want only ONE FOCAL POINT of your face that people will most likely look at first, and NOT 10 FOCAL POINTS. So pick either your eyes or lips to be bold, but not both at the same time.

For me, I honestly mix and match and do whichever color I am feeling that day. I will honestly match colors that normally wouldn't go together (like green and pink or orange and red) just because I like experimenting with colors. But here is a list of what I normally come up with:

Blue Makeup: Blue is a hard color to pull off for some, so it's best to stick with a very pale pink to balance it out, a neutral lip will wash you out and make you look a bit weird, so you want some color on your lips, but not too much or too little. If a pale pink lip still looks a bit washed out, then add your favorite lipliner to add a little more color.

Gold Makeup: I like pairing gold eyes with a neutral, gold, taupe, or brown lip. This really brings out the brown undertones in gold to make your eyes the focal point.

Purple Eye Makeup: I like pairing it with either a purple-toned lipstick (like MAC's lipstick in "Up the Amp", or a light or medium pink (like MAC Slimshine in "Intimidate", MAC lipstick in "Scanty").

Example Photos of lippies paired with various eye makeup:








Green Eye Makeup: Neutral lip (like MAC Fleshpot or NYX Round Lipstick in Circe), medium pink lips (like MAC Slimshine Lipstick in Intimidate), or even go crazy with it and do a bolder pink lip (like MAC's Up the Amp lipstick or Show Orchid).

NYX Lipgloss in "Beige" (really pink but they named it "beige")


MAC's "Show Orchid"


Nude Lippie with green (MAC lipstick in "Masque" LE, and MAC Lipglass in "Underage")


Coral/Orange Eye Makeup: I usually like doing a taupe/brown or a toasted orange lip. (like Avon's "Nude Pink" lipstick which is like an orangey pink) paired with a sheer coral or orange lipgloss (like MAC's "Sockhop" or AVON's "Nude Peach").

AVON's "Nude Pink" and "Coral Cashmere" lipstick with AVON lipgloss in "Nude Peach".


Neutral Eyes with Bold Lips: Easy light makeup application on the eyes makes way for bold colored lips that anyone can pull off if done correctly. As you can see here, the first thing people would see are the lips because they are so bright and bold, but the eyes are subtle, and not overpowering the lips. The result? A well-balance face that doesn't look overdone!

NYC Lipstick in "Retro Red" and Avon's Lip Radiance Lipgloss in "Rich Red"






Pale or Bold Pink Eyes: Can be paired with a neutral lip, pale pink, or even bold pink!

MAC Lipstick in "Show Orchid" with Lancome's "Seashell" Lipgloss


(forgot the color of this one)


Brown/Natural Colored Makeup: I like rich browns and taupes, even a neutral lip.


Smokey or Dramatic Eye Makeup: Neutral or Pale Pink lips, anything more will be too much....


Hope that helped some of you!

13 comments

Shizznizzle said...

this really helps :D
I wear lippies depends on my mood but I was surprised to find similarities with your choices *Yay!!* hehehe

thanx, girl! you look gorgeous in every pics..

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nessa! This post is a big help for me :-)

AskMeWhats said...

this is super helpful!!! and great to see your pictures again! And you've done sooo many looks!

BeautyTalk said...

I love the last FOTD! Also, this is a great guide because I have similar problems. My other question is, what kind of lighting do you use to apply makeup? I share a bathroom with my mom and sister and i don't feel like lugging all my stuff in there. I have horrible lighting in my room--what kind of lights should I really have?
Thanks!

MakeupByRenRen said...

i get this question a lot from ppl too...i think it's just like coordinating an outfit you know...but it really ends up being up to what you feel like doing that day...now whenever someone asks me that, i'll direct them to your blog!

Bliss said...

This are really great tips, when i used the eyeshadows i just use my favourite lippy but its true what you say focus on one focal pont, thanks for the really great pointers, now i have to find a nice nude lippy like yours :). Your FOTD with the Mac lippy Snow Orchid is simply gorgeous :D

Stephie said...

ate, I adore the first pic! you're inspiring me to get back into my makeup fetish :)

Psalm 23 said...

hey girl,

I must say you look so pretty with green and purple e/s. I LOVE these looks on you. Thanks for reposting these looks, it'll help me pick out a look I want to do for an upcoming wedding.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

This is a great visual sis. Definitely gives people a better sense of the question :)

Anonymous said...

very informative and helpful! i'll keep these in mind when i'm whipping up an FOTD. :D

Anonymous said...

One word...FABULOUS!!!
Luv all the combos even though I don't think I can pull off many of them. lol.

I was wondering what kind of color combo would you use if I was wearing all black like a black top and jeans?

I would still like to look chic but with some color, but not sure what color on the face would look great.

b3t1 said...

Love the eye make up application... well done!!!

cheers,
beti

Unknown said...

wow ! your make up amazingly beautiful :) i just want to know what brand do you use for your eyeliner? how do you put it on so flawless? thanks
email me back at : canbie226@gmail.com

Thanks a lot !

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter