Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Product Review: Shiseido Mascara Base vs. Tiffa Mascara Base

.


Product: 5 out of 5
Packaging: 5 out of 5
Brush Head: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5
Price: $22, available at Sephora, Nordstroms, Macy's and other department store counters.

What it claims: A clear base coat for eyelashes that improves mascara application and wear as it boosts volume and curl. Adds dramatic definition to the eyes. Contains Multi-Nutrient Factor, an advanced moisturizer.

PROS: The thick brush wand builds up volume to my lashes, it's a clear gel therefore you can even just use it by itself for a "natural look", immediately when I started to use it I noticed a difference. My lashes looked fuller and longer, and that was just it by itself! There's no funky smell to it and it really keeps a curl on my lashes that lasts me all day. I also like how it is conditioning so it's like a primer to your eyelashes before you apply mascara therefore it prevents eyelash fallout.

CONS: The price, but it does the job so to me it's well worth it!

How does it compare to the Tiffa Mascara Base? Well the Tiffa mascara base has tiny hairs (click on the link for my review on it) that basically attach to your eyelashes to give the illusion of longer and thicker lashes, and can sometimes be irritating if one of the "hairs" gets into your eye. The Shiseido Mascara base is a true eyelash primer and has no "hairs" to attach onto your lashes; it strictly coats your lashes giving you more fuller and longer lashes. It also holds a curl while the Tiffa mascara base doesn't really hold a curl, although it did look the same for the finished look in my last FOTD...

Here are the pics to prove it, so what do you think? ***NOTE*** I did NOT curl my lashes for this demo so that you can see the result...so imagine IF you DO curl your lahes...hello va-va-voom!













TIFFA MASCARA BASE:

It really perked up my lashes but sorta made it wonky...




28 comments

Anonymous said...

wow! you can actually get away with just wearing the base!!! your eyelashes looks amazing! im thinking of investing on a primer! its sooo expensive though! :X

Ahleessa said...

I really want the Shiseido Mascara Base after seeing this review. I need anything that will help me with thicker, longer eyelashes... hehe~ It doesn't hurt that it holds curls. :)

Anonymous said...

seriously, this base is GOLD to me. i love it with all my heart and i'm glad to hear that you're liking it too! it is really pricey but it's so well worth it! and yes, curling your lashes will give you that va va vooom! haha. im soo glad you did a review on this product. it's so underrated.

Jennifer @ www.aegiscode.net said...

Hi vanessa,
Love your blog, been lurking for quite some time now and decided to make my own blog.
You're one of my great inspirations. :)
please check out my blog when u get a chance
it's www.vietnameseqt.blogspot.com
thanks

AskMeWhats said...

The shiseido mascara base works like magic!!! it does its job and you looked like you have lash extensions!!!

www.Cosmetic-Candy.com said...

Hmm I have both of these two Vanessa - I think Shisido is really special - I can use it with any mascara and it will hold curl but I love Tiffa too for some va-va-voom! The Tiffa works well with its own brand mascara!

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

OMG I love this base!! I agree, there are no cons about it but the price but it REALLY works!! hehe

josephine siu said...

It looks great! I tried the Clinique one the other week, and the results were a bit disappointing.

I think I'm going to end up getting this in my next Sephora haul! (:

Your lashes are amazing by themselves, though. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Try using shisedo mascara base with Devaju mascara , it's magic !!! Fuller and thicker lashes guaranteed ...

Ling said...

Your lashes are so long!
I don't think you need to curl your lashes. They look amazing already! =D

B said...

I like the fact that its a gel. Most primers are "white" and I haaaate that. Definitely adding this to my list. Great review!

Shen said...

wow! the base made the mascara application cleaner and smoother.. :) hmm. great rev sis! :)

Jacey said...

that shiseido primer looks awesome! i've been using my Lancome one for awhile and while i think it's great, i'm on the lookout for something new.. just because we should always welcome change in our lives :) i'll pick this up once i have some moolah!

thanks for the review :D

purple snowflake said...

hehe i second Alyssa.. I think i'm gonna go buy this too after seeing this review.. btw your lashes are so curly without curling them.. mine is dead straight.....

♔Jaimie said...

wow that really does make a huge difference. I'm gonna have to scoop some!

MakeupByRenRen said...

i loveeeee the shiseido mascara base...i can't wear my normal mascara without!

Tiffany said...

Vanessa, I have problems with my mascara like, running down to the area underneath my eye, so it looks like I have bags!!

Do you think the primer will help? I use waterproof mascara to try and prevent this but it's not working!!

Thanks :)

Stephie said...

i love the shiseido base!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your eyelashes are amazing!!
Can you review the new Givenchy mascara?? It looks so intriguing.

XPPINKXX said...

VANESSA

you are so damn nominated....my hand fucking hurts!

Jamila said...

I am soooo getting this! This has been on my to get list for ages... It's settled... It must be mine. Thanks for the review.

Terri said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Gotta love Pink, huh... :)

Where in Canada are you from?

By the way, thanks for this review! Shiseido mascara base is my HG, and I never dared to try out other lash primers because it pleased me enough but it doesn't hurt to experiment once in a while. The Tiffa mascara base is a cool concept though! I would probably have a scare every night of taking it off though, and seeing all those hairs on the cotton pad, wondering if any are actually my own.. XD

Cinthia Truong said...

I like Shiseido base. It doesn't clump and it lengthen like crazy. But definitely wanna try tiffa. It does just as good a job and it's only half the price of the shiseido...that's such a good deal!

*Jen* said...

I reviewed this recently too and while it's a great base, it definitely wasn't perfect. It's kind of clumpy looking and makes my lashes feel kinda crunchy, plus while it gives me great curl and length, so do a lot of other mascaras for a better price.

The fact that you need to purchase this plus another mascara is always a factor to keep in mind-whereas one good mascara should be able to do it all! :)

*Jen* said...

Thanks for your comments Vanessa! I didn't know I needed to protect my eyelashes the same way I do my face (although that does make sense)-I need to get on using my Mascara base or my Shu Lash Conditioner more often!

I really do like the base-I think maybe it was just too hyped up and so I was expecting miracles =X

It looks absolutely amazing on you though! You have beautiful lashes to begin with, but the base definitely makes then stand out.

Melissa Joy said...

my friend told about this eyelash base, and after seeing your review I really want it now!

na said...

I've been putting off buying it because it seemed kind of expensive, but everyone's given it glowing reviews so far, so I might just have to try it out! Thanks for the review, Nessa. :)

Lizzii said...

haha! hello falsies! i have the base too. shiseido mascara base + l'oreal anything = <3

:D

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter