Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Reader Question: Traveling with Makeup- What can you bring on the airplane?

.

Q: Hey Nessa,
I love your blog! I wanted to get some Pure Luxe shadows, but I was wondering what size are the eyeshadow in the jar? (Ex. Sour Apple)

Also, since you travel, how do I know which makeup is okay for carry on baggage?

Some of the airline sites say 3oz. containers, but does that include mineral makeup? I use Everyday Mineral and have the 8gram size. If you get back to me, thank you for taking your time and reading this!

- Wendee

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A:
Thanks Wendee!

The Pure Luxe Eyeshadows are 3 gram jars, rules and regulations for all airlines are the same. Here is a post I did awhile back, "Traveling with Makeup".

Also, carry on baggage prohibits liquids and gels, so if you have liquid foundation it CANNOT be taken onboard, however mineral makeup is ok, but an 8 gram size may be too big you can call and ask your airline to be sure. It's best to put the big items also ones with liquids and gels such as moisturizers into the bag you are checking in (not your carry-on bag).

Here is some additional information:

Things You Should Not Bring on Board

Liquids, Gels, and Aerosols in Carry On Baggage

* Passengers may bring into the secure area of the airport liquid and gel products, so long as the items are carried in a clear plastic food storage type bag with a capacity of no more than one quart.
* Each passenger is allowed only one of these quart sized plastic bags.
* These would be items such as shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
* Each individual container must have a capacity of no greater than three ounces (90 ml).
* Passengers may not pass through the security screening with gel or beverage containers of greater capacity.
* Once a passenger has passed through security screening, they can purchase any size beverage and other liquid or gel products in the terminal and take them on to the plane.

There are important exceptions to these rules:


* Baby formula, breast milk, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, or aerosols) can be in containers larger than three ounces, and do not have to be inside of a quart sized plastic bag, but have to be declared at the security checkpoint.
* Solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items such as lipstick in a tube, solid deodorant, lip balm and similar solids. Please remember these items must be solid and not liquid, gel or aerosol.
* Once past the security checkpoint, you are free to buy liquid gel products of any size within the secure areas of the airport terminal and take them on board.
* If you have questions or doubts on about an item, place that item in your checked baggage.

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes. Examples include the following:

* Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition.
* Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs.
* Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids.
* Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. However, if the capacity of the containers for the medically necessary items exceed three ounces (90 ml), or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top type plastic bag, you must tell one of the screeners at the security checkpoint.

5 comments

Karen said...

Hi Vanessa,

This list was very helpful! I usually check my luggage in, but the last trip I took to Vegas I brought my stuff as a carry on and it was very challenging trying to get all my makeup and hair stuff together (seriously, I was hurting, my husband was mildly amused by the fit I threw). Thanks tho for this - I'll be using it as reference in the future.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

I guess I can pass on this until the next trip we venture off this rock, hah.

Ethereal Prey said...

I remember flying and all these stupid rules. I was glad I was using mineral make up at the time, and only had a few must have face lotions and such. Airport ppl aren't very happy...they say you can't have any liquids which is a total lie, they really don't like to work at their job and it shows...

alien man?! said...

This website was extremely helpful when I needed an update on what I was allowed to carry on board. Funny thing is that I wasn't looking for makeup. I was wondering if I could bring my knitting needles on board (yes, I could).

Hehe, sorry to tease you about the typo. I have a habit of teasing those I come to adore :D I'll try to keep myself on a leash, mua ha ha. I'm still cracking up over your hilarious comment about "incentivize"

MakeupByRenRen said...

when i went to cali i tried to squeeze as many of my lipglosses in the 1 quart bag as possible, lol, just cuz i didn't want to check it in..and i put the rest of my products in the lil bagsbuy quilted case you and i both have! luckily i had no problems and no breakage!

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter