Recent Posts

Upcoming Posts

  • Concealer & Foundation Tutorials
  • Sigma MaxBag Makeup Bag
  • My HG Concealers
  • Mixing Foundations
  • What's in my makeup box

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Walgreens Haul

.





So first I hit up CVS, so today I had to hit up Walgreens to see the new goodies they had in store, especially after seeing sis Lynne's review on the new 2008 collection by L'Oreal featuring HIP Paints (similar to MAC Paints), I had to see it for myself. Physician's Formula is also coming out with TOTALLY organic and natural makeup (i'll upload the pic later).

And you know your boyfriend really loves you if he is driving you to like 3 CVS's and a Walgreens, lol. He was like "What are you looking for?" And I was like "I got to find this thing for my readers", and he was like "Drugstore makeup!?" Little does he know how far drugstore makeup has gone, how much they have changed. As much as I use MAC, I am still faithful to my share of Revlon, Covergirl, Milani, NYX, and L'Oreal. I just use a lot of MAC in my FOTD's because I seriously have TONS of MAC products I need to use them all!

So I ended up getting 5 out of the 6 paints, the one I didn't get was "Witty" because it looked similar to the MAC Metal-X eyeshadow I bought in "Goldspice", so I passed on it.

I bought (from L to R): "Nervy", "Lofty", "Secretive", "Commanding", and "Steely



Now pay close attention because I am going to give the most in depth review on these:


Swatches (first pic with FLASH)


Room light:


Bathroom light (tungsten, most natural setting):



First impression:
They really are an awesome dupe of MAC Paints at first glance, they are in similar casing, and almost the same size.

Testing phase:
I swatched them on my hand and noticed they were very creamy. I was worried that they were TOO creamy in the sense they would crease or come off, but once I let it dry (a minute or less), it seriously STAYED ON, did NOT budge, rub off, nada. I even washed my hands and it was STILL on my hand. On top of that, it was dry and smooth, not flaky, allowing me to put eyeshadow over it, which means it also makes a great BASE.

My favorite colors are:
Lofty, Secretive, and Nervy.

Dupes observations: Now these are not exact dupes, but pretty close to it (I am at the BF's house so I do not have the real thing in front to compare to but I am basing it on memory here)...

Lofty-
More of a pinkish version of Painterly with subtle shimmer, or lighter version of MAC "Canton Candy".

Secretive-
Very similar to MAC Paint in "Bare Canvas", I currently have Chiaroscuro which is a light taupe/beige.

Nervy-
Reminds me of MAC "Groundwork" Paint Pot, awesome bases for brown eyeshadows or for a neutral look.

Steely- Reminds me of MAC "Blackground" Paint Pot, or MAC Shadestick in "Sharkskin". Looks navy blue in certain angles/lighting. Great base for the smokey eye or dark looks.

Commanding-
To me, it's a cream form of "Gold Stroke". Has reddish-brown tones to it.



Compared to MAC Paints: I have not done a look with the HIP Paints yet, so I don't want to be too premature to say much about it just yet, BUT off the bat, I think it's a great alternative to the MAC Paints, and of course it's cheaper too. So for gals on a budget and want to try something new, I highly recommend it. I think ALL the colors go great on all skintones and ethnicities as most of them are earthy/neutral colors.

Staying power on the HIP Paints is incredible, it'd comparable to the MAC Paints in regard to staying power, because it really did NOT come off my hand!

LAST WORD:
I will do a look soon using them, so far so good, they look very promising. They may be hard to find because not all stores are carrying the newest collections yet, so call your local drugstores such as CVS, Rite-Aid (has an awesome cosmetics return policy!), Walgreens, and Wal-Mart.

Also, they had new INFALLIBLE lipglosses that supposedly last 6 hours. I bought "Undeniably Mauve", put it on and it's a gorgeous color, I ate some cheesy tots from Burger King, ate some donuts, and here's are some pics below before and after I ate. :)

I will do a review on this soon also, as I did not wear it long enough to see if it really does last 6 hours. I did notice however it was a bit drying (as with most stay on lipsticks/lipglosses).



RIGHT WHEN I APPLIED IT:


30 minutes later after I ate some Cheesy Tots!

19 comments

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

You sure did haul sis! I don't know if you saw my base trial, but I could not wear the paint alone. It is much creamier than MAC Paint so did not work in my favor. But on top of UDPP worked marvelously :)

And Jon is the man for driving you! I think as long as these stay in Wal-Mart, I can get away with makeup shopping. Hubbo's supposed thought on it is "cheap makeup" lol.

Have a great weekend love! Hugs from paradise :)

Anonymous said...

Your boyfriend is such a doll!

I loooove the infallible lipgloss! I cannot believe how L'oreal pulled off this lipgloss that actually stays on.

watercoloursky said...

thanks for the review, those paints look really good! i hope we get them in Canada soon as we don't even have the HIP gel liners yet. l'oreal seems to be coming out with a lot of good stuff lately.

nilla cookie said...

Oooo I just saw Allure's new cover with Sarah Jessica Parker and they used L'Oreal HIP including these Paints on her! I really want to try them - esp. since I love neutrals =)

The Infallible looks pretty promising too! I've been trying to find that at my Rite Aid but haven't seen it yet. Can't wait for your full review!

mayaari said...

thanks for the mini review! I picked up Lofty since they only had like one of each color left on the display. I've been searching for Painterly, but from your review it looks like I found a decent alternative.

And Jon's reaction was similar to my bf's reaction when I tried to hit up all the Rite Aids to get a HIP BOGO sale a while back...he was nice enough to drive me out to the ones I couldn't get to myself, even if he didn't understand why I wanted drugstore brands :)

roughmetaphors said...

Hi Vanessa!

Thank you for the detailed review and photos. I was wondering about the ingredient list of L'Oreal HIP Paints and if they were similar to Mac Paints' ingredients.

Thanks!

Chris

MrsDiaz said...

hehehe..I can just see poor Jon driving around wondering why the heck he's taking you to so many drugstores!

Anonymous said...

tricia said

i live here in los angeles and it is so hard to find the hip pigments in stock at walgreens or rite aid. evrythime i go they never have the colors i want, so today the manager took my number and said she would give me a call when the news stock comes. they r often bogo

L said...

it's so wierd how we never have these these products in our drugstores. we don't even have a walgreens here :(

Anonymous said...

oooo the paints look really great! and so does the infallible lipgloss. I gotta get me both of those! thanks for sharing these vanessa :)

~snugglebunny from abb

mandilicious said...

you are not helping my budget..lol..thanks for another great review!..

Anonymous said...

oooh! I'm excited about those HiP paints!!! :) Thanks for pointing them out. I look forward to your looks with them.

Cheers,
Jami

yummy411 said...

wow! i saw mrs. lynne's review. super helpful and so was this!!! omg, something close to goldspice that's not that emollient, creasing metal x shadows??? i'm on it. i want to do an exchange from my haul anyways!

do you think secretive is a dupe of mac's base light paint?

Ethereal Prey said...

thanks for the review. i was wondering how the paints were gonna perform. Sigh, sadly the new stuff wasn't there when i went...DOH!

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

woo hoo! thanks for the swatches of the paints. i'm definitely thinking of getting secretive to use as a base color cause of lynne's reviews as well. :D

NeverLoseFaith said...

lol, my bf took me to three walgreens one night when I was bored and just wanted to go makeup shopping lol =)
the gloss is looking great though!!!

-val

The Faux Fashionista said...

Mmm...the Infallible lipgloss looks absolutely delish! Great choice of color :)

Anonymous said...

Picked up Lofty today on sale at Walgreens. Their supersaver has them for $2 off! Woo hoo! I can't wait to try it tomorrow. I really wanted Nervy as well, since I love love love dark brown shadows by themselves for quick simple look. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and get that one too.

Oh... the things I do for my blog. ;)

Thanks for the swatches. I was thinking of them when I picked Lofty up!
Jami

Anonymous said...

hey i luvvvv this lippy ive just it but i so love it and it doesnt come as much as others, i mean if ur drinking it comes off on cups alittle but they cant make it like totally fool profe..I'd recommend it to anyone

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

NessasaryMakeup.com Copyright 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved. Info written and labeled pictures are property of NessasaryMakeup.com
free hit counter